Digital Asset Management and Content Management System
Content management systems (CMS) and digital asset management (DAM) systems are a way to organize data. But they serve very different purposes.
A Content Management System (CMS) will help you arrange your media as you want it. You can display in the way you prefer on your website. The (DAM) system is a tool that enables teams and individuals to easily find their digital assets and also manage their distribution and issuance.
What is a Content Management System (CMS)?
It might be your first introduction to a CMS when you start looking at building your own website. You may have heard of website building platforms like WordPress, Wix, or Squarespace. These are software applications that allow you to manage the content on your website. Put your media in context before publishing. Blog posts, downloadable content, and media files like videos and images will be displayed on your website with the help of CMS.
What content management systems are used?
A CMS is essential whether you are building a static website, e-commerce store, or online course. You can use your CMS to edit your website pages, add or remove text, images, and videos, and change the layout without the help of web developers.
Added value to you from the tools and features in your CMS
- Manage your web content.
- You can manage permissions to ensure that only specific users (developers, content writers, and editors, for example) can make certain changes or access more advanced tools.
- The application is usually associated with a database or host where your content is stored.
What is a Digital Asset Management (DAM) platform?
A digital asset management system will store all your digital assets. It ensures that all of your different teams are using the right versions of assets and that only the right people have access to the right assets. This also means that you can easily share assets with external organizations and individuals.
Added value to you from the tools and features of the digital asset management system
The DAM system will provide you with an easier way to manage your workflow.
The marketing department helps control digital documents and media so that there is always brand consistency throughout the business. The software allows this by enabling different levels of access and control if changing, adding. Or removing files within the DAM requires an approval process.
DAM systems are usually web-based, which promotes collaboration and contribution from users in different locations.
What is the best digital asset management software?
There are many solutions on the market, each with its own set of features and tools to suit specific sectors. You should begin your research by identifying the specific needs of your organization and using those as a baseline when evaluating and comparing DAM providers. Check out our digital asset management checklist.
The importance of using the right DAM software for your business
- It will make storing and managing your files simple.
- Helps increase productivity and create more efficient workflows.
- It is also important to consider the interface and user experience, as this is critical to a successful setup process.
- Enables visual brand identity through in-app customization and a suite of features that improve the way you manage and store digital assets.
- It brings metadata to the digital asset management interface, making it easy to find what you’re looking for.
- Whether you are looking to enhance the security of your digital assets through version control, streamline workflows, or improve efficiency, the right digital asset management software can revolutionize your organization’s approach.
In the end, the best DAM platforms organize your assets in a way that increases your brand value. Its features help you do things like automate workflows, set asset license expiration dates. and set different levels of user access for files, folders, projects, and entire marketing campaigns. With in-app analytics, DAM can also show you how creative assets are performing.